I had an idea the other day while sitting at the accountant's office staring at the wall. How about a generic TV dashboard that just displays headlines, videos, and/or company info.
Plenty of options for ways to go about it. I'm trying to take into account that the final product should be super easy to set up. Ideally a dongle/chromecast app, that once it's plugged in just works. I've done some research, but still unclear on where to begin with the technology to get it done. As a web page, it will have all the benefits that come with the web, but not sure how to implement in a way that is easy for the end user. Should the preference be local or cloud based?
Possible Technologies with their Pros and Cons:
- Standard Web Page
- Pro: Easiest to develop
- Con: Needs physical HDMI connection to TV or Run in Chrome with Casting Capabilities
- Progressive Web App
- Pro: Closer to native, includes offline functionality
- Con: Native cast functionality missing
- React Native App
- Pro: Mobile / Tablet app which can be configured on app
- Con: Requires external device for prefs
This will continue to be a consideration and I will do more research before doing any coding.
For the initial MVP these are the features it should have:
- Rotating Headlines
- Time of day
- Current Weather plus three/five day forecast
- Video player connected to a playlist
- Company Information
For a wireframe
That's all for now, we'll fill it out more in part two.